Sunday, August 22, 2010

how do you spell Satan? I spell it A-U-C-E (all u can eat)

I haven't posted in a while, I have had a busy week. On a sad note, I went to a memorial for a fourteen year old boy (a classmate of my daughter) who drowned in the river that runs through our downtown, such a tragic loss for our community. My heart aches for his parents and family. It was a very touching tribute to a young man who was loved very much by everyone who knew him. I also celebrated my birthday this week, and yesterday (Friday) my family traveled over two hours to the Sight and Sound Theater in Lancaster, PA to see "Jacob". This was my first experience with the SST and it was AMAZING! We will be making this a yearly family trip, for sure! Our little getaway to Dutch country was not without pitfalls...we were in a group of 20 from our church and the group decided to eat at a famous ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET. Now as my fellow WLS buddies know, those are DIRTY words to a GBP patient! All those choices, dancing through my mind as I type, I felt like Templeton at the county fair! I asked the waitress if I could have a child's price and she agreed, which was nice, it would have been even more painful if I had to pay 22 bucks my dinner! I had just a couple of bites of each, mind you, but oh i felt soooo naughty! cheesy mashed potatoes, chicken and dumplings, green bean casserole and a honeywheat roll with whipped butter! They had a chocolate fountain!! I restrained myself and only dipped ONE piece of fresh pineapple in the fountain...mmmm so yummy. Now my meal wasn't completely composed of Satan's white carbs, i also had a slice of roast turkey, and some rotisserie chicken. After I had digested for a while, I even indulged in 3 bites of the most amazing cheesecake I have ever had! I was worried I would have a severe dumping episode from all the carbs and rich food, but i just had a little bit of heart pounding which went away in about 5 minutes. I dodged a bullet on that one! For those reading this who dont know what "dumping" is, let me explain...when you have WLS that re-routes the intestines, if your meal consists of carbohydrates and moves too quickly from your pouch to the intestines, your blood sugar will spike and your pancreas "dumps" out a bunch of insulin to counteract the amount of sugar in the bloodstream. This can result in: a pounding heart, sweating, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea, and intense abdominal pain. Sounds like fun huh? Oh yeah, if your idea of fun is rolling around on the floor in pain then having to make a mad dash for the nearest bathroom, it doesn't get any better! But, if you don't want to experience that type of "fun" you quickly learn what foods cause that feeling, and then it is a behavior modifier (kinda like those meds they give to alcoholics so they get sick everytime they drink). I admit that there are times that I want a particular food so bad that I am willing to risk it, and it usually ends in disaster. Usually I say to my hubby, "please remind me of this the next time I want to eat (insert food here)" to which he replies "ok I'll remind you, but it wont do any good" and he does, and it doesnt, and the whole process repeats. Pathetic, i know, but that is the ugly side of food addictions. I have been really bad about exercising this week. Hubby and I have a tennis date and short "hike" planned for tomorrow. I still haven't hooked up my scanner, no excuse for that, I am just lazy. Maybe tomorrow. Highlights of my week: 1. the trip to Lancaster and 2. I got my letter from my PCP recommending my plastic surgery! one step closer to perky boobs and a flatter tummy. 3. My fave blogger Eggface is having a Give-away contest for Sugar Free Torani syrups....I am so stoked, I hope I can win... Check out her AWESOME blog by clicking on the link on my page, you wont regret it! Looove her!

1 comment:

  1. ok im commenting on my own post...Jenna pointed out to me that I said we went to see "Jacob" well it was "Joseph". For those of you who dont know your bible, Jacob was Joe's father. Yeah, I wrote that post at, like, 4 am. geesh, cut a girl some slack, would ya? ;)

    ReplyDelete